Back to Disorder Library
Copper is a metal and our bodies obtain copper from our diet. Normally, we obtain enough copper, but yet not too much. Too much is harmful and toxic to our bodies.
- Make sure you are taking supplements for overall good health. If you are not taking these basic supplements, we recommend Enfuz from Vitabase. When you take a small packet of pills each day, you get all the basic nutrition you need. Each packet contains a multi-vitamin, CoQ10 (for heart health), Omega 3, Vitamin D-3, a probiotic, and a powerful set of antioxidants to help your body fight off disease.
- Accumulation of excess copper in the body can be prevented with the use of trace minerals manganese, molybdenum, and zinc.
- Chelation therapy eliminates toxic metals from the body. Individuals with high levels of copper should see a physician who may prescribe chelation to remove the excess copper. In some cases the copper will be elevated but not severe, and can be taken care of with supplements.
- It has been determined that many individuals with schizophrenia have high levels of copper and iron, along with deficiencies of zinc and manganese. This is more than likely due to a lower than normal excretion of copper. By increasing zinc and manganese, whether through the diet or supplementation, will then boost the elimination of copper and aid the copper to return to normal levels.
- To check for copper level in the body tissue a hair sample will be analyzed.
- All cooking pots are not to be made of copper.
- Be sure to take a multivitamin with out copper.
- Eat onions, eggs, and garlic to raise the sulfur in your diet.
- Test your drinking water.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
Copper chelator. Ascorbic acid form is recommended.
Comes from buckwheat. Reduces serum copper. Bioflavonoid.
Lack of zinc may contribute to an extra amount of copper in the body. Zinc chelate form is recommended.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Grape Seed Extract acts as a free-radical scavenger. This herb has been know to aid in cell protection.