Back to Disorder Library
A group of conditions that involves inflammation of the upper airway. This leads to a cough that sounds like a bark. This disorder is most evident in children from ages three months to five years and is usually mild when caused by a virus wand can usually be treated at home.
- Make sure you are taking supplements for overall good health. If you are not taking these basic supplements, we recommend Enfuz from Vitabase. When you take a small packet of pills each day, you get all the basic nutrition you need. Each packet contains a multi-vitamin, CoQ10 (for heart health), Omega 3, Vitamin D-3, a probiotic, and a powerful set of antioxidants to help your body fight off disease.
- It seems that fresh cold air may assist the child in breathing as it lessens the swelling of the trachea and larynx.
- Since croup is caused by a virus, antibiotics will not help.
- Children whom are having problems breathing need to go to the emergency room.
- Children with croup need lots of fluids such as herbal teas, soups, and distilled water steamed.
- To help in relieving congestion use hot onion packs on the back and chest 3 times per day. Use a heating pad and add onions (sliced) between 2 cloths.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
Manages infection and fever. Enhances immune system.
Enhances immune system. Promotes healing. Lozenges are recommended for quick absorption.
Promotes healing of mucous membranes. Emulsion form is recommended.
Kills free radicals. Transports oxygen to cells. Emulsion form is recommended.
Cod liver oil
May be substituted for vitamin A.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Echinacea, Fenugreek, Goldenseal, & Thyme.
These four herbs may act as natural antibiotics and boost the immune system's capability for fighting pathogens in the blood stream.
Echinacea dosage is normally 15 drops in liquid every three to four hours.
If fever is present, use the tincture form of echinacea. Do not use goldenseal for more than seven days, and don't take it if you are pregnant. Check with your doctor if you have been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or glaucoma.
Eucalyptus Oil can be very effective in helping to clear up congestion caused by respiratory ailments, especially when used in a vaporizer and inhaling the steam as more humidity generally will help a child to breathe better than if the air is too dry.
Few drops Eucalyptus added to a vaporizer.
To help loosen the congestion in the chest and allow the child to breathe easier, try bathing the child in a warm ginger herb bath. Immediately after the bath, wrap the child in a heavy towel or blanket and place the child in a warm bed. This will cause the child to sweat, allowing the pores to release the poison that has collected in the body. If you don't have ginger on hand, you can put the child in the bathroom, turn the water on in either the bath or shower, and let the child breathe in the steam. This will help the youngster to breathe better.