Back to Disorder Library
Any bite or scratch from a dog that breaks the skin.
- Make sure you are taking supplements for overall good health. If you are not taking these basic supplements, we recommend Enfuz from Vitabase. When you take a small packet of pills each day, you get all the basic nutrition you need. Each packet contains a multi-vitamin, CoQ10 (for heart health), Omega 3, Vitamin D-3, a probiotic, and a powerful set of antioxidants to help your body fight off disease.
- Oral antibiotics may be necessary in order to avoid infection. Soured products and nondairy acidophilus should be incorporated into your daily routine while you are taking antibiotics. If you have not had a tetanus shot within the last six years, you may need to get another one.
- Report a dog bite to the local health department so they can determine whether or not it is necessary to evaluate the animal for rabies (paralysis, viciousness, agitation, growling, or foaming at the mouth). Rabies shots may be needed if the animal cannot be found.
- After being bitten, thoroughly wash the area with warm water. Then wash it again for five minutes with soap and water. Rinse the wound. Put gauze on for 24 hours.
- Check the dog's vaccination record if possible (ask the owner). If not possible, the dog will have to be observed and checked.
- Children should be instructed to stay away from strange animals. They should be supervised at all times.
- It would be wise to see a doctor in case you need stitches or other treatments.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
Combats infection. Helps rebuild collagen and connective tissue.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Echinacea Tea , Pau d'arco Tea , and Red Clover Tea
These three herbs have beneficial properties for treating dog bites.
Use Goldenseal cream, ointment or powder as a topical treatment for dog bites. Goldenseal is said to have natural antibiotic properties to reduce infections.
Goldenseal is not to be used if you are pregnant. Goldenseal should not be taken for more than one week at a time. If you have the following conditions: history of heart disease, diabetes or glaucoma consult your physical before using the herb Goldenseal.