Back to Disorder Library
Xerosis is the term for dry skin. We all have a natural oil coating over our skin produced by the skin oil glands. If this oil is removed, then the skin becomes dry which can lead to cracking, which can lead to inflammation.
- Make sure you are taking supplements for overall good health. If you are not taking these basic supplements, we recommend Enfuz from Vitabase. When you take a small packet of pills each day, you get all the basic nutrition you need. Each packet contains a multi-vitamin, CoQ10 (for heart health), Omega 3, Vitamin D-3, a probiotic, and a powerful set of antioxidants to help your body fight off disease.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids are beneficial for boosting new skin cell formation and in getting rid of dead skin. Apples, sugar cane, blackberries, grapes, citrus fruits, and tomatoes help provide needed alpha-hydroxy acid. Glycolic acid gets rid of dead skin, and lactic acid enhances miniaturization.
- An under active thyroid may contribute to dry skin.
- Cocoa butter is recommended for wrinkles and for enhancing skin. Refrigerate after opening.
- Diabetics are at risk for serious skin problems.
- Dry skin may be caused by antispasmodics, diuretics, antihistamines, and other drugs.
- Facial lines may be reduced by using kinetin, which works similarly to the plant hormone that protects them from withering.
- Prescriptions of tretinoin are available to help with sun damage, precancerous lesions, and age spots. Use for at least 6 months to see improvements.
- Vitamins A and D can be obtained through cod liver oil. These nutrients are important in promoting healthy skin. A lack of vitamin A may cause dry skin in feet and hands.
- A facial mask used once a week will do a great deal for your skin. It will remove dead skin while clarifying the skin. Mix 1 teaspoon green clay powder and 1 teaspoon raw honey. Then put it all over your face for 15 minutes. Rinse. Once mask is removed, moisturize face with a gentle lotion.
- A loofah sponge and warm water can enhance circulation and get rid of dead skin cells on the face. Use it twice a week. Stay away from the eye area.
- Avoid sugar, soft drinks, chocolate, junk food, and potato chips.
- Calendula cream or oil with comfrey, vitamin E oil, and aloe vera is recommended for dry fingers. Wear this cream or oil with a pair of gloves overnight.
- Combination skin should be treated accordingly.
- Fried foods, animal fats, and heat-processed oils are not recommended. Only consume cold-pressed oils. Supplemental fatty acids are beneficial for the skin.
- Garlic, onions, asparagus, and eggs provide sulfur to keep your skin youthful and smooth. You can also obtain sulfur from L-cysteine in pill form.
- Harsh cleansing creams, cold creams, and soaps should be avoided. Pure olive, avocado, or almond oil are recommended.
- In order to hydrate your skin, you should drink 2 quarts of water each day.
- Incorporate a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and seeds into your balanced diet. Vegetable protein is beneficial, along with raw foods.
- Keep bath or shower water at a comfortable temperature. Make sure it is not too hot.
- Keep your home humid with a humidifier if possible.
- Moisturize your skin as needed throughout the day, but especially after bathing. A natural moisturizer with nutrients is recommended.
- Refrain from smoking and secondhand smoke.
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine as they cause fluid and nutrient loss.
- Those with especially dry or cracked skin should consume more water and essential fatty acids. Keep skin moisturized and protected.
- Use skin care products that contain vitamin E, vegetable glycerine, or panthenol (also known as humectants). These will help retain moisture in the skin.
- Use sunscreen whenever exposed to the sun. Avoid direct sunlight if possible.
- Yellow and orange vegetables are recommended as a good source of beta carotene.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
Provides linoleic acid which is beneficial for the skin.
Prevents damage and builds up skin tissue.
Vitamin B complex
Eases stress. Protects against effects of aging.
Eases stress. Protects against effects of aging.
Provides needed minerals. Promotes healthy skin tone.
Prevents free radical damage. Topical application can help prevent wrinkles.
Beneficial for oil-producing skin glands. Zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc is recommended.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Aloe Vera Gel applied topically is one of nature's best soothing agents and has great healing qualities for your skin. Aloe Vera softens and moisturizes the skin.
Follow directions on the label when using topically
Calendula and Comfrey
Comfrey is frequently combined with calendula, in salves and ointments that are used for facials, or to make herbal or floral baths. Calendula is particularly suited for dry, sensitive and irritated skin as it has soothing and healing properties. Comfrey speeds healing of wounds and skin conditions. The Allantoin in Comfrey promote cell regeneration and helps to relieve inflammation. Allantoin also has skin-soothing properties.
Comfrey is to be used externally only.
Lavender water can be used as a splash or spray on the skin to soothe and moisturize dry, flaky skin. Lavender water is an excellent skin toner. Make your own personal lavender water by placing a few drops of essential oil to 4 oz. Of distilled water. Can also use an infusion of fresh lavender leaves and flowers. Lavender Water already mixed can be purchased.
Chamomile, Lavender, and peppermint
These three herbs combined will make an excellent moisturizing facial sauna. Following is the recipe: Use a glass or enameled pot, simmer a total of 2 to 4 teaspoons of dried or fresh herbs in 2 quarts of water. When pot is steaming, place it on a potholder or table. Place a towel over your head and sit with your face a comfortable distance over the steam for fifteen minutes. Next, splash cold water in your face and allow your skin to air or pat dry with a towel. Apply a natural moisturizer or facial oil, or clay mask. After the sauna, allow the herbal water to cool and it can be saved to use as a toning lotion that can be patted on your face with a cotton ball after cleansing.